I love road trips ever since I took my first one in college. A friend asked me recently what some of the best places were that I saw and like any good friend I promptly produced a list.
In truth the list was made long ago just waiting for a moment like this one.
- New York City. Of course I’m going to mention NYC. You have two football teams to choose from, the Giants or the Jets. If you go in September, you’ll also have baseball, with either the Yankees or the Mets (though I’d choose to see the Yankees)…. NYC definitely has plenty of nightlife and the best shopping in the US for your girlfriend… and while NYC isn’t a BBQ mecca like the SouthEast, they have a place called Dinosaur Bar-B-Que which has the best BBQ you’ll find in the North… There is so much to see and do in NYC, I promise you won’t get bored!
- Denver, Colorado. I LOVE DENVER. You have the Denver Broncos for football, decent nightlife in the city, and some decent shopping. Denver isn’t as well known for their cuisine, but they do have some excellent food! This is the city for you if you’re an outdoorsy person because you have the Rocky Mountains near by for camping and hiking!
- San Francisco. There is no city like it. The weather is almost always cool and breezy. There is excellent shopping and great food (but again, no comment on BBQ). With a few hours of driving, you could be at the beautiful Yosemite National Park, which is definitely worth visiting. You also have the pacific coast which is nice, though it wont be as warm as LA or San Diego… For football you have a choice between the 49er’s (personal choice) or the Raiders over in Oakland.
- Off to the west coast, Los Angeles and San Diego California. The two cities are a few hours apart, but both are worth a visit. Both have excellent shopping and nightlife, and you also have some of the nicest beaches in the entire country! The food is excellent, though I cant comment on BBQ in particular… and as for theme parks, you have the original, iconic Disney Land.
Since she was from KC I it only makes sense that she would want to explore this neck of the woods. It is affordable, close, and diverse. A personal preference for quick excursions is:
- NOLA: I didn’t see this mentioned, but New Orleans, Louisiana may be of interest to you. They have a some of the best food in the country. NOLA is known for the creole/cajun style food, but you can also find some pretty awesome BBQ places… For the girls, there is PLENTY of nightlife and shopping around the city is also very unique. Not any theme parks though, however there is a Casino… There is really no other city in America like New Orleans.
- Tennessee, as suggested by others. Memphis and Nashville are a few hours apart, but between the two, you will find some of the best BBQ in the country. As for nightlife/clubs/drinking, you should be able to find some places in both of those cities. I don’t know about any extraordinary shopping, but I’m sure there are some nice malls… Also, if you like the outdoors, consider going further east (almost into North Carolina) to the Great Smoky Mountains. There is some great hiking and camping.